Welcome to my unofficial site for DVI. This site is dedicated to keeping us up to date on all the current CDCR, Law Enforcement, State Worker and CCPOA news. Hope you enjoy Gladiator School and remember this site is for informational purposes only. Terms of use

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ultimate Power Corrupts Ultimately

As peace officers and persons who hold authority over others there is a fine line that we all have to walk to remain in the boundaries of what our job and position states we are able to do. At times the ‘gray area’ has been beneficial. But it doesn’t take much for the ‘gray areas’ of what is appropriate and what is considered corrupt behavior.

No matter what your position, we are all subject to fall prey of the feeling of “Ultimate Power”. We want to feel that our presence makes a difference and nothing is the same without our input when it comes to decision making for our respective area of responsibility. We also want to be able to make decisions without being questioned in our judgment of why we do what we do. But we are accountable for our actions, decisions and judgment.

The increase in position and authority intensifies the risk of falling victim to ‘ultimate power’. Even being chosen or elected to a special position or assignment can open the door to fall in this trap. That’s where we must be able to check ourselves or have stronger checks and balances to ensure this problem doesn’t degenerate...

Some are able to keep in the forefront of their minds that they were placed in a certain position to benefit all and to be the voice of many. Some have lost sight of their mission. You were chosen because many believed in your ability to be able to represent us in a professional, respectable manner. We believed that you were able to keep your eyes in focus of what your job is supposed to be and the common goal for all that was supposed to be fought for. You were supposed to fight for what the initial fight was for. To maintain what was gained for us as professionals. To ensure that the respect that we had for the work we do (and no one else wants to do) is not tarnished in any way, shape or form.

But when you surround yourself with subservient ‘yes men’ who’s only goal is to ride the gravy train at any means, not only do you damage the position you hold, the crusade you fight for and your own personal character but you tarnish all those you represent. You have taken the trust of many and used it for your own personal gain. To me, this is a crime and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

For the record I will state again: I am not a company ‘yes’ man. I am not a ‘union can do no wrong, drinking the kool-aid’ follower either. I am for the workers. My co-workers; the ones who put their lives on the line every day to take care of some of the worst society has to throw at us. I am also a constitutionalist. I have the right, given by god first and then the constitution, to speak my mind freely without apprehension or threat of retaliation by anyone! With that said, I remind all that what you do in the dark always finds its way to the light. If you hide the truth, you are diminished by the truth.

You may or may not agree with what I say here or any other article I post, but you damn well know I am honest regarding my thoughts and not afraid to share them. It doesn’t matter to me if you are a co-worker, supervisor, administrator, politician or even the union president. We are expected to act, perform and look professional while at and away from our place of business. No matter in what capacity, I expect the same from those I represent and who represent me.

I appreciate all the information that is shared from other blog sites along with this one. I’m sure that some of the information that has been shared may not be completely accurate but I’ll bet that where there’s smoke, there’s fire. I guess we just have to stand by to stand by.

If anything I’ve said here hits close to home with either your subservient or corrupt actions, I suggest you ‘check yourself’ and get right. If this does not pertain to you, I suggest you become a ‘check and balance’ of those placed in power who cannot regulate their appointed authority. If we do not investigate the accused corrupted, we aid in the act of corruption. I’m just sayin…

No comments: