Welcome to my unofficial site for DVI. This site is dedicated to keeping us up to date on all the current CDCR, Law Enforcement, State Worker and CCPOA news. Hope you enjoy Gladiator School and remember this site is for informational purposes only. Terms of use

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Acknowledge, Appreciate, Thanks

Today is set aside, different than any other day, to give thanks to what is appreciated in our lives. We tend to look over the little things that mean so much in the end. I also need to acknowledge many things in my life that is unfortunately taken for granted. The act of appreciation may not always be shown or could possibly come across as overlooked. Though my personal list of what I am thankful for is just that, personal, there are some things that I want to share with my friends, co-workers and associates at DVI.

I am thankful to be a part of the DVI family. I have worked at a couple other institutions and the experiences there were unique in their own way. But the close, tight bond shared at DVI is in a class by itself. I was embraced by those who remain and many who have transferred, retired or passed on (ret. C/O Saulsberry, Curley, Sgt. Stapp, C/O K.V. Jones-MCSP, ret. Sgt. Silva, Gonzo-Corcoran, Luna, Sgt. Hassan-SQSP, C/O J. Price; I miss you my brother, and too many others to mention), thank you for sharing your life with me and allowing me to learn from you.

This has been a difficult year. We have suffered losses in our personal lives as well as our DVI and CDCr family. Hold on to the blessings for having those who we have lost as a part of our lives. I have learned from all that has been in my life, from good experiences and bad. I can say that I am a better person because of what I have learned to appreciate.

As I share my appreciation with you, I can’t help but think of the sacrifice we all make by volunteering to take on this employment. We signed up to willfully take care of the worst that society wants to forget. We ask for nothing special but to be recognized for the assignment that no one else would want to take on and be fairly compensated for it.

Though a small number of officers may be lucky enough to have a holiday off, many sacrifice spending holidays with family and loved ones to babysit the ones who, in general, hate us. Working the holidays or not, I want to thank you for the work you put in and the sacrifice made without acknowledgement or thanks. I would hope that the appreciation would also be shared by the Administration for the work and sacrifice we all make with the job we have. I’m just sayin…

P.S. Big C, God bless and get well soon. You’re in our prayers.

No comments: